Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Lung Busting Intervals

Last night was interval training night. Over the past few weeks on a Tuesday the intervals have changed every week, some weeks we'd run for 4 minutes, other weeks it'd be mile repeats, others it'd be pyramid intervals. Yesterday all the previous weeks training was used for two intervals of two and a half miles.

I was grand on the first one, stuck with two other guys before trailing off slightly in the last 30 seconds or so.
Two minute recovery.
On the second one I couldn't keep up with the others. I dug in and kept as close as possible to them but they gradually got further and further away from me. I thought that this one was one to soon for me but kept with it and pushed myself so that I'd come as close as possible to my first interval.
I finished it. Stopped my watch and was shocked. The exact same time as the first (well 3 seconds slower). I couldn't believe it. I'd paced myself perfectly the other two lads had ran the second one over thirty seconds faster than the first.

The fact that the other two were able to push themselves that bit more than me doesn't concern me in the slightest, it just gives me something to aim for in the coming months.
blog comments powered by Disqus