Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Upping the tempo

This weekend when talking with my coach I got informed that my attitude to the Tuesday night running now has to change. I've been working hard at them up until now, properly busting a gut and trying to hang on to the guys faster than me. I've certainly improved as a runner over the past 2 months from going about my training in this manner but now it's time to change.

Now, instead of just trying to hang on, I have to challenge the top lads. I don't mean be ahead of them at every interval but really just be there or there abouts, on their shoulder, letting them know I'm there and pushing them (not literally, obviously... althooouugh!!), pretty much not giving them an inch. For the moment I don't have to do this in every interval but in at least 3 or 4 of them, be they in the beginning, middle or end of the session. I wouldn't be able to do this in every interval, there's a reason why these guys are running faster than me and that's because uhm... well, they're faster than me!

Last nights session I put it into practice. We were doing a session that comprised of 8 x 1km. I decided at the start that every second one I'd be right there on the shoulder of the front runners. Maybe the wind played it's part last night, every second one was against the wind, slowing them down, and that wind was 30mph last night so it was really slowing us down! Kilometres 1, 3, 5 and 7 though, into a head wind, I held my own and I'm well chuffed about it. Mile repeats next Tuesday, should be fun.
blog comments powered by Disqus