Thursday, June 19, 2008

Now it starts

For the past while I've been telling myself that the work I've been putting in at the track isn't speed work but a preperation for the speedwork that is about to take place. Well, tomorrow the speedwork starts!

Tomorrow it's spikes on, watch off and start fast. All the 800s, 1200s and what not on the track ove the past month and a bit were to get my speed endurance on the track up to scratch for the real speed work. The session should be around 8-10 x 300m with enough recovery to be recovered. It could take 90 seconds to recover or it could take 2 minutes, it's not important. What's important is that I accelerate fast for each one, get the legs moving fast and hold it for 300 metres.

It should be interesting to see how I get on. I've put in a few good sessions of 300m on the grass of late which would be more strong than fast. They should stand to me and all over the next few weeks.

This week has been a very good week so far so hopefully it'll continue into tomorrow. On Tuesday I jumped in with a new crowd for a track session. We did a pyramid program, starting at 1200m and working down to 400m, getting faster the closer to 400m we got. I have to say that after feeling like I cheated myself last week with an easy session this was anything but! Throughout the whole session I was running strong and even surprised myself at the end by somehow managing a 1:10 on the last 400m of the night. Even more surprising was my willingness to take to move to the front of the group when I noticed the pace seemed to be slackening off. Usually when I'm training with a group I'm the lad dying at the back! My coach reckons that this shows an increase in my fitness but also an increase in my confidence in my fitness. There's no point going past someone if you're going to burn out 20 metres later, if you're going to go ahead of someone you want to be sure that you'll be able to carry the pace for whatever is left, be it 300m, 400m or 500m.

Touch wood, the way things are going now I should be racing well by the end of this month half way through the next. My coach has told me I should be happy with how things are going by then but not flabergasted. I've set high standards for myself to reach this year, high enough that I think they're slightly unreachable, so I reckon he's right, I won't be flabergasted just yet.
blog comments powered by Disqus