Monday, August 25, 2008

No more Olympics, now what?!

The great intentions for Saturday night never came into fruition. I had planned to attempt a live coverage of the Men's Olympic marathon, similar to that for the women's that I did last week. But I failed...

I wanted an easy night on Saturday to prepare for a late night of marathon watching and an early morning of long distance running. We don't always get what we want. After going to my friend's place for Olympic watching, football watching and dire reality TV watching (his girlfriend and flatmate's demanded some non-sport on TV) I thought it was still possible to get home to see it on time. It was on at 12:30am, how could I fail? Gradually the clock was getting closer to 11pm and I was getting nervous. Thankfully his girlfriend's flatmate was heading into town with her friend, so my route home was sorted. Taxi with them to town and home on a bus. Perfect. In town however I was hassled into going for 'a' drink. From time to time I know where my priorities lie... going for a drink with two girls or watching a marathon on TV...
It's OK, I'll get the first night bus home and just miss the start of the race...
One drink is never one. One turned into two, two into three, three into dancing and next thing you know I'm on a night bus home and it's 4am. So instead of seeing any of the race I was left to check the results on the IAAF website and realise that I missed a belter of a race.

Oh yeah. I'd like to apologise to all Americans for how Ryan Hall got on. It is all my fault. He probably would have done a lot better if it weren't for my actions last week. What did I do? I bet on him to medal as an outside bet. Ryan Hall is now added to a long list of athletes, football teams and rugby teams that I have placed bets on and not produced. I've learned my lesson and I deeply sorry to all the athletes I bet on during the Olympics. I swear, never again.

Due to Saturday's adventures Sunday running was gruelling. After a month of acclimatising to Ireland's unique weather I wasn't at all prepared for these 'dry and sunny' conditions that I was up against. Add to that two decent hills and 15 miles, multiply it by a hangover and the result is how it went. But I survived and then ended up out again for drinks, this time for a friends 30th birthday. It has to stop. That's pints 4 nights on the trot. Do you see what happens when there's no marathon to aspire to?!
blog comments powered by Disqus