Tuesday, September 9, 2008

I just don't know what to do with myself

Shocking stuff. My coach had mentioned recently that there'd be some time off running coming up soon, before we decide what's next on the list. When I was talking to him yesterday evening his exact words were "do nothing Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday, 8 miles Monday and we'll have a new plan put together from then". I thought that it'd be another few months before I got some time off, or that it just wouldn't happen, or I'd have to bring it up. But no, for the next few days I'll have to find something else to do with my evenings. My clients will be delighted now that I won't be swanning off work the minute 6 o'clock hits this week.

The new plan is going to aim at a race in or around 7 weeks from now. There'll probably be two races, if not three in that time. Ideally it'd be another 10km race but I don't think there's any around at that time. According to my coach I'm getting better at racing but I'm still not good at it. His point is that if I can finish a race as strong as I usually feel (Saturday included), the feeling that I could push out a few more miles if needs be, then I'm not putting my body under enough stress. The key to being a good racer is racing under stress which I don't do. I hold back just enough that it doesn't hurt.

I've had a look at the upcoming calendar of races that I should be able to get to if needed. The races I do will probably come from the following list - obviously not all of them

blog comments powered by Disqus