Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Race Week Training

With another race week here, another plan is needed for the week. I'll be going into this the same way I approached the week leading up to the last 10km. The main difference though is that this race is on a Sunday, whereas the 10km was a Saturday... oh and this race is half the distance!

I'll be taking a mile or so off my usual easy runs. This will go right up until Thursday. On Friday I'll just go for a quick lap that will be around 3 or 4 miles. During this session I'll do 6 stride outs of about 100m. This should keep the legs sharp and fresh. On Saturday I'll have a complete rest, not even a little jog around the block. Tonight I was told to hit the track and do 8 x 400m hard... or if it's very windy outside to cancel that and do 10 x 1 minute on the road. The reason for this is that running on the track in windy conditions can be so disheartening that it's better to get a strong session in on the roads. A quick glance out the window has suggested that I'll be on the roads tonight!

What I'm expecting as a time on Sunday is anyone's guess. The time that's been thrown around is close to 16 minutes. It will be head down from the start and just trying to hold on. The first two miles should come in at just over the 10 minute mark. Then it'll be a battle to make it to the finish without blowing up, working off who ever is around me to get home. I'm not going to worry too much about the exact time I get. If I prepare and race well I'll get the right result out of it. After the last race I can't wait to get out and see what I can do this time...
blog comments powered by Disqus