Thursday, September 11, 2008

What I talk about when I talk about running

Not what I personally talk about when I talk about running, more like what Haruki Murakami talks about when he talks about running. We all know what I rabbit on about at this stage anyway.

I read this a few weeks back and I've been meaning to post here to say "read it". It's such a lovely book about what running means to Murakami's life. In the early chapters I kept thinking that I feel the exact same way and that I could have written the book myself, if I could write eloquently of course. Murakami says exactly what I want to say about running, only better than I would. He draws parallels on running and life and the role running has played in his career. There are plenty of little anecdotes throughout from his first marathon, running to marathon, triathlon experiences amongst others.

The book is written as he prepares for the 2007 New York marathon. While I don't necessarily agree with his training philosophy completely, the way running fits in with his life really struck a chord with me. He doesn't believe in taking two days off running in a row, stretching and believes that pounding the shit out of his muscles until they're rock hard is a good thing. No, no and no. The muscles being rock hard probably has something to do with the first two things though. Two days off training is great. It completely recharges the legs. If you train 5 or 6 days a week, the weeks where you get two days to chill out is the best thing ever. How I love the weekends where on a Friday I put my runners away and know they won't be coming out until the following Monday.

Anyway, lovely book and comes recommended by me.
blog comments powered by Disqus