Thursday, January 22, 2009

Under the weather

An annoying cough that's been hanging around for more than 2 weeks came out in full force after Sunday's race. I still haven't shook it, but it's back to just being annoying again. I took two days off training before the race because my legs were shattered, two days after because the cough kicked it up a notch, yet the poxy thing isn't going anywhere. Monday was the only day I woke up feeling sick, although I got progressively worse during the day. On Tuesday I was back the same stage as I am today. Although first thing in the morning my heart rate was around 25bpm higher than normal. I took some medicine and within an hour was shivering uncontrollably for the next 2 hours, even though I was well wrapped up with the heat on. Needless to say I didn't take that medicine again, and think it had a part to play in how I was feeling the day before.

Yesterday evening I went out for an easy 6 mile, well wrapped up, no cold air was going to get near me. Problem. I was far too warm. Hat was off in less than 1km. Gloves gone by mile 3. I should've been wearing shorts, rather than trousers. The wind proof jacket just made me feel like a boxer who was trying to sweat off a few pounds before a weigh in. Lesson learnt I think. Last year I didn't wear trousers once on the run and it was colder in London than it is here. Just because I have them does not mean I have to wear them. They're fine for warming up and down on days I have workouts but nothing else. They just don't work for me. Likewise the wind jacket. It's just too warm for training in, maybe on a real cold, windy day it'd be grand but normal day to day? No chance.

The legs are stiff today, but will be fine for another 6 miles easy tonight. I'm not the happiest that they're stiff after 6 miles with two days rest beforehand, but I'll blame the cough. It's already getting blamed for my poor productivity at work, so blaming it for stiff legs is no big deal.
blog comments powered by Disqus