Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Strong, not fast

That's what I have to remember about this race this weekend (10km), I'll be strong, not fast. Four weeks with no speed work showed last night as I attempted to up the pace somewhat. After the last hundred plus miles have been run uniquely in heavy Kayanos I felt a spring in my step for the first few minutes jog in my racing shoe. The spring was well and truely gone not too long into the session (12 x 1 minute fartleks with a 90 second recovery). Even though I was trying to hold back it was still a tough slog, glancing at my watch every few seconds, HOW THE F&*K HAVE I ONLY BEEN GOING 25 SECONDS?!

Even with the lack of speed work going into this I'd be disappointed if I don't go sub 35 minutes. The race is in the Phoenix Park so there'll be a good selection of hills to go up (and down). They're long up hills, rather than steep, while the downhills on the other hand are steep. The race plan is fairly simple. Start off at a comfortable pace for the first minute or two before putting the head down and running strong. A time of 34:XX is very much drilled into my head for this... along side "Strong, not fast"!
blog comments powered by Disqus