Friday, July 17, 2009

Race Report #26: Still searching for that extra gear

*It was just pointed out to me that I've been gone for a while - I just had a quick glance and spotted that my last two posts (this being one of them) had been saved as drafts and not posted - apologies *

For the past few days my right calf has been in ribbons (or knots) following the 400s on Friday in spikes and a Sunday long run at a decent clip. I'd been stretching it a few times a day but the tight feeling remained while I was walking around. I said to myself before the race that if I ran well with my calf like this it'd mean I could run better still, and if I ran shite then I could just blame the calf. Win win! In the end I didn't feel the calf once I got going so that excuse has to be thrown - I have a list of other excuses though...

I got out to Santry early enough to take in a few of the Development races and the Morton mile. I grabbed a some photos of the meet from my seat before heading off on my warm up. Due to the fact that there was an endless list of 800m races going on the timetable got pushed back which meant my already late race of 9.20pm was going to be run later still, nearer to 9.40pm. I was going to be fit for my bed by the end of it.

The race started and I went through 200m in about 38 seconds - kind of where I wanted to be. As we approached 400m 79 seconds was called out. How the hell did the second 200m take 41 seconds? I decided to try up the pace but the next lap came out at around 80 again. During the next laps I kept looking for that extra surge but there was nothing there - these 80 second laps were easy but I couldn't go faster. That's how the race continued, 80 second lap after 80 second lap. For the first time ever I had the gas for a "sprint" to the line and I ran through the line rather than the usual slowing up a couple of metres short.

The late race meant there was no time for a warm down or even stretching. I just got changed and headed for the bus to arrive home chez moi at 11.15pm. I had a quick chat with CR about the whole thing - I seriously reckon I could have held that pace for another 5 laps if it had been a 5km race. Then I'd be looking at a tidy 5k time of 16.40 and I'd be thinking everything was getting back to normal. But alas this was a 3000m and not a 5000m race and the time is not reflecting what I'm getting done in training. I've three weeks before the next track race and I'm certain of one thing - I will get my time in that race.
blog comments powered by Disqus