Saturday, August 29, 2009

A week of firsts

In the week following the 10 mile race I was told to take it easy, no speed training until the Friday, and even then hold back a bit. The long run on the Sunday was to be slow, there'll be plenty of time to go up a gear in the next few weeks. The rest of the week was filled up with easy jogging. With that week out of the way, last week was the week to start going fast again.

On Tuesday I was trying my best to hang onto the coat tails of John during an 8 x 4 minute fartlek session with a minute recovery in between. I've never done an interval session longer with intervals longer than 3 minutes. Usually with 3 minute intervals I do six of them and give myself 90 seconds recovery. This meant that the extra minute, 2 extra reps and 30 seconds less recovery was going to hurt by the end. It did. I finished close enough to John on the first one but there after he stepped things up. Thankfully as this was a session on effort over time rather than distance I could cut corners to keep him in sight. John finished up doing 10, I thought 8 was plenty for myself and jogged back to meet the others who were finishing up a 10 mile tempo!

The firsts just kept on rolling in for the rest of the week. On Wednesday I managed my first 10 mile easy run the day after a Tuesday session in months. Then on Friday I covered 18 x 1 minute on my usual 5 mile loop. I hadn't really planned on going above the usual 16 but after the sixteenth was done I felt good enough to try for two more. The firsts all finished on Sunday morning. Due to a hectic day on the cards I had to drag myself out of bed at 5.30am and hit the roads for 17 miles unfueled. I can still feel that in my legs and don't think I'll be trying that for a second time.

With only 2 weeks to go to the 10k race in Firhouse things are looking good. I'm going for another tough week this week and then cutting back next week in the lead into the race. After a summer sans a PB here's hoping that the first race of autumn will bring one.
blog comments powered by Disqus