Monday, October 12, 2009

Race Report #30: The Return of XC

10 months. It took a mere 10 months for me to forget how I feel about Cross Country. Maybe I should have read my last cross country post a few weeks ago to remind myself. Instead I had this weird feeling going into the race that I was good at cross country - one good race and five miserable outtings to date should have told me otherwise.

Even though I haven't been happy with my race performances of late I know deep down that I'm in the best condition I've ever been in and that sooner or later I'm going to have a big race. Going into this race I thought, maybe, just maybe this would be it. One thing I didn't realise was how much the hills were going to kick my ass. 6km consisting of 12 short steep hills really took its toll. Infact by the 5th hill, about 2km in, I could feel that I was starting to go backwards. From there on in it was a battle with the inner demons to keep going.

Rather than dwell on the negatives of the race I'm trying to take as many positvies out of this race as possible.
  • Them 12 hills are going to stand to me in future races
  • I pushed myself harder than any I would have in any training session
  • For once in my life I possessed a sprint finish to regain a place I'd lost
  • I will be stronger and will take the lessons from this race into the next one.
  • There's only another 5 months of Cross Country left... actually... Five months?! WTF!
Photo by David Bradshaw
blog comments powered by Disqus