Monday, November 16, 2009

Why do we do it?

Sitting in Burger King at 3am on Sunday morning, the long run should have been the furthest thing from my mind. Even after 9 pints of Guinness it must have been nagging away at me because I ordered a bottle of water to go with the Whooper Meal. The healthy option!

The morning of a hangover is not the morning you want to have 15 miles marked down. After 6 hours of drunken sleep I had to spend the first 10 minutes of the morning with a heart rate circa 160bpm as the alarm clock managed to freak me out no end. Then after breakfast it was 2 hours of drifting in and out of consciousness on the couch, while really wishing that bowl of porridge was replaced with something that little bit greasier. To make this morning complete add in the jealousy as my hungover sibling is getting out of bed while I'm doing my stretches. I know that for the two hours while I'll be out running around like an eejit, he'll be sitting in front of the TV, and the most he'll have to exert himself is going as far as the kitchen to cook a fry. One thing that was missing from all this was the headache. However, within 10 footfalls outside it reared it's unwelcome head.

The longest 15 miles I've had to do in a long time followed. Not something I want to repeat anytime soon. Saying that, I am well aware that it's only a matter of weeks until Christmas party drinks are going to start... God help me...
blog comments powered by Disqus