Thursday, February 11, 2010

The Big Six

When I set my plans for this spring I picked one race that I wanted to work towards. I wanted a race that would fall two or three weeks after the last cross country race of the season and a race that was either 10km or 10 miles. Both of these are distances where I'd like to think that coming off the back of a rake of cross country races I'd do some damage to my current best times. As luck would have it the National Senior Cross Country falls on the date that would usually be occupied by the Ballycotton 10 mile race. That meant that the Ballycotton 10 had to be shifted to two weeks later - the perfect date for this guy.

Now here we stand a little less than six weeks to the race and what a hectic six weeks I have in store. Only two of the Sundays between now and B-day are race free. Three cross country races fill up the other Sundays, with the first a 10km this coming Sunday. I'll have the spikes out again the following week for another 10km slog. Finally, 2 weeks later I'll have my longest ever cross country race to date, a 12km race in the Phoenix Park. A lot of time is going to be spent recovering from each race, while trying to prepare for the next. All the real hard work has already been done. My recent mileage doesn't compare to anything I've ever done before - including the build up to the last marathon. From here on in it is really just going to be a case of ticking along and not killing myself by doing speedwork sessions on knackered legs. Counting races, long runs and speedwork sessions there's probably less than 10 tough workouts that I'll put myself through between now and toeing the line in Ballycotton.
blog comments powered by Disqus