Friday, March 19, 2010

L'esprit de l'escalier

For the past few weeks I'd been saying that I thought I had just done that one race too many at the end of the cross country season and that I'd a feeling that I'd take part in my goal race of the spring, the Ballycotton 10, with tired legs. Well I was wrong, I won't be racing with tired legs on Sunday, I quite simply won't be racing.

After my second last XC race it took the full two weeks to the next race for my legs to lose the stiffness from the race. Then it was straight back to my legs being stiff, taking two days off and hoping I could get sharp in time for Ballycotton two weeks later. Deep down I knew I was doing too much but I also kept reminding myself that after Ballycotton it was time for a break. In an ideal world I'd have stopped racing after the second last race, taken a break then for week or 10 days and then started into training for an assault at Ballycotton. Hindsight's a great thing though.

This week I've been doing easy runs, progressively shorter, while every evening my leg was getting sorer and sorer. Yesterday I was scheduled to do a sharpening up session before the race but I knew at mid day that there was no way that I could go out and say that there was no risk in seriously damaging something. So for the first time in an age I missed a scheduled workout. With that I threw in the towel on any hope of lining up this weekend.

I'm fairly gutted as I'd got a few good results in the cross country, taking some scalps on the way, and I thought I was in a good position to take a chunk off last year's 10 mile PB. What now? Now I take a break. I look after the leg and I get it back to normal. The break could be a week, it could be two, it all depends on how I recover. I'm not too worried about taking time off. It's needed, especially if I want to have a strong road running spring.
blog comments powered by Disqus