Tuesday, September 21, 2010

It's all marathon

After a conversation with CR last night it was decided that absolutely everything I do from now on is with the marathon in mind. This marathon could be 2 years away yet - I've no idea but the goal has to be to run the next marathon fast.

That means that we're back looking at using and abusing cross country for the next few months. Throwing in a few road races up to half marathon distance in the middle of cross country. Maybe finding a half marathon and preparing for it as if it was a marathon - 10 dedicated weeks, training runs up to 18 miles and practicing with gels. I still need to get my times down for 5 miles, 10km, 10 miles and the half but as CR reminded me "there's still 20 miles left after 10km" so not getting the 10km time down as far as I want to doesn't necessarily mean I won't hit the marathon time I want.

Recent weeks have seen me wind down my training, take a full week off where I drank and drank and drank, run a half week (the thousandth wedding of the summer stopped that week in its tracks) and now I'm running a week where I'll be clocking up the miles with just one speedwork session. I'd forgotten what it was like to run while not tired and now I'm feeling stronger with every step I take. A few weeks ago CR said that the next goal was to just get back to enjoying running and I can honestly say that I'm back to that stage. It may have taken five weeks of handy running to start enjoying it again but now I feel like I'm ready to have another attack at it. Bring on the mud!
blog comments powered by Disqus